6 hours ago
Monday, June 8, 2009
So, today is my birthday (the astute will notice that I have had to make the excruciating change from "27-year-old" to "28-year-old" in my profile description), and I am feeling pretty introspective about it. Maybe it's because I'm so happy and appreciative of where my life is right now, that I wouldn't mind freezing time and being — gulp — 28 forever (or maybe it's because I'm hesitant to turn 30, and get wrinkles and die), but this is the first birthday that I haven't felt like making a big deal of. My typical birthday M.O. is to celebrate my birth month, making big social plans, and throwing a big party (sometimes more than one) throughout the month of June. But this year, I'm going to celebrate in little ways. Instead of a big blowout, here are some of the little indulgences and luxuries I am planning to partake in today:
1. A Starbucks Iced Latte with whole milk and real sugar.
2. A leisurely run in Central Park.
3. Reading in the sun. I'm going to put on my bathing suit and catch some rays on our terrace.
4. Playing with my baby niece and trying to make her laugh, even if it means completely losing my dignity making funny faces and animal noises.
5. A manicure/pedicure — one of the few things (maybe the only thing) that is cheaper in New York than anywhere else, it's an hour of pure pampering for under $30.
6. A bath — We have two bathtubs in our apartment, and I have never used either of them. That changes today with some scented candles and bubble bath.
7. Reading and responding to emails. Gotta love Facebook for reminding everyone it's my birthday. I certainly feel loved today.
8. Seeing The Hangover — it may not be highbrow, but like Milton Berle, I'm a firm believer that "laughter is an instant vacation."
9. A cocktails and dinner date with my husband. I love to make dinner but I also love to make reservations. Nothing like a Martini Monday!
Hmmm... this may turn into a Birth Month celebration, after all.